A familiar sight in the leaf-fall season, the Network Rail RHTT's travel the network pressure-jetting the rail head and applying Sandite paste to the rails to aid adhesion.
These make for small trains suitable for most layouts, which can be double-headed by a wide range of locos.
I wanted my model to be a little different in that I was after DCC
After studying numerous photos I noted that they
carry three lights, one on the Sandite module and two on the Jetting module.
So, the model consists of four main elements,
FEA Flat Wagons - Dapol models
Water Tanks - S-Kits
Jetting Module - SKR Models
Sandite Module - to be Scratchbuilt
To start I bought a pair of Dapol FEA flat wagons, these were re-sprayed gloss black. I then modified one of the bogies as power pick ups. I had pre-fitted the Jetting Module onto the flat to get a clear idea where to drill-through to feed the cables from the pick-up bogie.
The Jetting Module is a two-part resin kit, available from SJR Models. Originally designed by them for a Railtrack SPV, it is identical to the ones found on the RHTTs.
After spraying the Module in Humbrol No 14 (French Blue), I set about fitting the electronics.
This involved fitting a 4-function FL-4 TCS lighting decoder, inside the Jetting module on the base, seen here on the right,
I get all my decoders from DCC Supplies, who I've found very helpful.
I drilled holes in the roof to accept the light units and threaded the cables through for soldering to those coming from the circuit board. It's hardly cutting-edge electronics, but it was my first venture in constructing my own project from scratch.
By carefully cutting a channel in the bottom of the resin Jetting Module, I was able to thread out a pair to the neighbouring Sandite Module without disturbing the "sit" on the flat wagon.
The Sandite Module (above left) was constructed from photographs and with the help of plans from a recent article in Model Rail. The base was created from cutting off the base of a Bachmann 20 ft ISO container and using this frame as a base for some Wills chequerplate.
The units were constructed from plastic card and the louvres/roller shutters in corrugated plastic, again from Wills stocks, this time designed for "N" gauge construction.
I have since discovered that the larger of the two structures is available as a one-piece resin kit from SJR.
The pair of cables from the Jetting Module (which can just be seen between the two units in the above photo) were fitted up into the smaller of the two modules which houses the light, below middle.
The assembled unit - lights on!
The tanks are kits available from the excellent S-Kits range. They are resin kits with metal pipework. They do require a fair bit of work to fill and rub-down, but the result is a very good reproduction of the prototype.
My pair of flats will consist of three tanks, plus the two modules outlined above.
There is still quite a bit of cosmetic work to, I've applied decals from the excellent Scale Model Transfers range, I still need to fix the Tanks and put in some electrical and water cabling and the handrails, as well as some steps on the side of the control units, so still quite a bit to do.